Saturday, March 28, 2015

Obedience


Jesus answered them, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Very truly, I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. Those who love their life lose it, and those who hate their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there will my servant be also. Whoever serves me, the Father will honor.
                                                                                                                             – John 12:23-26

I have to be honest about something: the word obedience in the context of spiritual disciplines makes me nervous. I’m in a course this semester in which we’ve been talking about slavery. Slave masters used to find texts in the Bible that read, “slaves be obedient to your masters,” to not only justify, but sanctify the absolute inhumane practice of chattel slavery. Now every time I hear the word obedience, caution lights go off in my head.

I think obedience to Jesus has to look completely different than the example offered above. We have to remember that what was obedience for Jesus looked like disobedience to the state and religious authorities. Obedience to the risen Jesus, the living God, threatens the powers-at-be, it disrupts things as they are.
 
Christian obedience has to look different—maybe sometimes it will even look like disobedience. Like healing on the sabbath or eating with folks that others referred to as “sinners” or “adulterers”. Jesus calls us to participate in his life-giving, world-altering obedience. In our participation in Jesus’ life, by the Spirit, we are drawn back into communion with our Creator. 

~ Chris Agoranos

No comments:

Post a Comment